A week into my new “Work From Anywhere” job @Automattic I wanted to recap all the good advice I received and put into practice for working remotely.
My Top 10 List:
10. Eat Lunch! Remembering this was harder than I thought.
9. Don’t eat too much. My friend advised 10 pushups every time I opened the fridge, so I mostly avoided it.
8. Exercise! I found time for a long bike ride (almost) every day.
7. Related, I took a mid-day dog walk and now Pepper likes me best.
6. Get out of the house. I met a group of co-workers in Alameda at a co-working space and we ate lunch at nearby Burma Superstar. Highly recommend.
5. I’m happy to have my dedicated space to work, tho, and my handmade desk (see previous post). It’s a great way to let the family know when I’m not available.
4. A dedicated space also means it’s easy to avoid and not get sucked into after-hours comms.
3. Turns out there’s lots of noise no matter where you work, so I downloaded a Mac app called Krisp that mutes loud background noises for calls.
2. Related, I decorated the wall behind my new desk with some non-distracting art to add visual interest to the background on video conference calls.
1. Wear pants! At the end of the day, I knew work was done when I got to change into shorts and a t-shirt.
Happy working wherever!